Notice of Combined Regular Meeting and Executive Session of the Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District (amended)
Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Peach Springs Unified School District #8- Governing Board of Education
403 Diamond Creek Road (Elementary School)
Peach Springs, Arizona 86434
Pursuant to A.R.S. $ 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the Governing Board and the Public that the board will hold a meeting open to the public on Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 5:30 p.m., in the Governing Board meeting room, Peach Springs Unified School District No.8, 403 Diamond Creek Road (Peach Springs Elementary School), in Peach Springs, Arizona. Information regarding agenda items, with the exception of materials relating to Executive Sessions, may be reviewed in the District Administrative Offices located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, Arizona.
The Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District #8 may vote to meet in executive session intermittently throughout the meeting pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03, to review and discuss certain matters which are marked by an asterisk(*). Additionally, the Board may vote to go into Executive Session on any matter listed on the agenda, pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (3), for discussion or legal advice from the Board’s attorney, which may occur via person or telephone. Any Executive Session discussions will not be open to the public. However, all Board decisions will be made in the open public meeting.
If any disabled person needs any type of accommodation, please notify administration at (928) 769-9034 prior to the time scheduled for the meeting. All members of the public wishing to address the Board are required to sign the attendance sign-in sheet and complete a Public Comment form. Board members of the Peach Springs Unified School District may attend either in person or, when necessary, by telephone, video conferencing, or internet conferencing.
A G E N D A
I. CALL TO ORDER- Ms. Michelle Zephier, Acting Board President, Peach Springs Unified School District #8
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. STATEMENT OF WELCOME
IV. ROLL CALL
V. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
VI. Approval of Governing Board Meeting Minutes:
1. August 4, 2015
2. August 5, 2015
VII. OLD BUSINESS
1.Impact Aid Approval
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Superintendent’s Report (no Board action required)
1. August and September newsletters and calendar of events
2. Audit for SY 2014-2015 with William Dobridge totaling $24,500
3. Discipline graphs and future plans to develop solutions
4. Academic graph data trends and patterns
5. Survey feedback from students, staff, and parents
6. Facilities and financial reports
B. Training and Travel
1. Infinite visions virtual training $275 per person for Michelle Holmes on fixed assets certification September 8, General Ledger September 9-10, Payroll certification September 14-17, 2015. (sessions full- cancel training sessions for Ms Holmes)
2. Certified Food Manager Training September 23-24th in Parker, Arizona for Connie Hunter (book and exam sheet $70.30)
3. PBIS Multi-Tier Behavior Support Training on September 24-25, January 7 and 8th, March 31-April 1st from 8:00-3:00pm at the Avondale Hilton Garden Inn for 6 staff members on the PBIS PLC Ms. Tripp, kindergarten teacher, Ms. Tennessen 4th grade teacher, Mr. Nicholas 5th grade teacher, and two core team members for around $5,000 (reimbursed by ADE grant).
4. Purchasing Classes for superintendent and business manager $175 September 18, 19, October 2 & 3, 2015 (procurement requirements) while no school is in session (Friday and Saturday)
C. Emergency procurement expenditures for Health and Safety of students and staff members
First week of school repairs week of 8/1/2015-8/10/2015
1. Air conditioning of building classes K-8 classes (health and safety concerns) Air Quality charged $329.00 for parts to fix air conditioner and $553.00 for labor and travel total amount is $882.00.
2. Gas leak in apartment #7 (new 7th grade teacher health and safety concerns) No bill has been received as of now.
3. Kitchen washer broke (health concerns without cleaning fluid) No bill has been received as of now.
4. 8/10/2015 Re-keying three doors outside the building to meet safety requirement of keeping building locked at all times. Keys were missing for outside duty teachers and no keys were left by prior staff member that matched the doors (students’ health/safety) No bill has been received as of now.
5 .Phone/internet out due to lightening that hit the school. ETC came that Friday to fix the issues. It is in our contract for them to fix these problems. No cost was incurred unless parts had to be ordered.
6. Plumbing for upper grade classes (health) True Love Plumbing came on 8-5-15 they cleared the stoppage in both toilets. Cost was $490.42.
1. Discussion and possible action to Approve District Payroll and Expense Vouchers 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 1534,1535, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604
2. Expenditure Budget Balance Reports from fiscal year 2014-2015 and 2015-2016
E. *Review, discussion, and possible action on the following agreements [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (3) discussion with legal counsel and consultation for legal advice].
1. *High school rental to Grand Canyon West
2. *Prior and possible revision of Rental contract 2014-2015 and 2015-2016
3. *High School meter units for teacher housing units and electric bills
A. Discussion and Possible Action regarding Creation of the following new positions:
1. Tier 3 Behavior Interventionist K-5
2. Tier 3 Behavior Interventionist 6-8
3. Lunch monitors from 11 am-1 pm
4. Bus driver (part time)
5. Extra stipends for staff to complete school-wide projects –testing and data coordinator $500, special education coordinator and state reporter $5000
6. Substitutes for bus drivers and teachers
B. Discussion and Possible Action regarding transfer of Ms. Rhiannon Watahomigie from special education assistant to Behavior Interventionist 1st grade substitute teacher with increase in pay from $11.50 an hour to $13.00 substitute rate of $15.00 an hour. (trial time until AEPA test)
C. * Review, discussion and possible action to approve STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) position contracts as the math position has been advertised
* 1.Bahgat Awad (STEM) –certified engineer and cleared ADE paperwork to provide
math and science classes
* 2.Mikhail Smallcanyon (STEM)-E.I.T.certified – certified engineer and cleared ADE paperwork to provide math and science classes
D. Discussion and Possible Action regarding administrative recommendation for the hire of the following new employees:
1. Ms. Quasula, long term substitute teacher (retroactive Aug.19 2015) at sub pay rate
2. *Ms. Christina Golder, elementary substitute teacher (substitute only) at sub pay rate
3. Dr. Clark, Substitute (substitute on call Mondays and Wednesdays only) at sub pay rate
4. *Jaren Smallcanyon, financial business manager for $55,000. Responsibilities include financial, transportation, and facilities reporting.
E. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding Extra-duty contracts for the following employees [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion or consideration of employment and A.R.S. 38431.03 (A)(3) discussion or consultation with attorney]:
1. Ms. Campbell, special education trainer and IEP/MET/State reporter $5000 instead of using Beth Ferry as consultant
2. Ms. Randy Fuller, academic testing and data coordinator $1000
3. Ms. Tennessen, after school tutoring coordinator $500
F. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding resignation of the following certified staff member [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion and consideration of employment]:
1. *Linda Schifano, Physical education teacher effective August 17, 2015
2. *Ms. Monsen, 1st grade teacher
G. Discussion and Possible Action to re-advertise for two board members.
XI. CALL TO THE PUBLIC (This is the time that the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not on the agenda. Therefore, action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter of scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.)
A. ANNOUCEMENTS AND DATE OF NEXT BOARD MEETING
Upcoming Board Meeting to be held at the Governing Board Meeting Room (in the Peach Springs Elementary School) located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, AZ:
a. Regular Governing Board Meeting – Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:30 p.m.
Dated this 3 of _September_ 2015
Amended and posted 9/7/2015 within 24 hour notice