Notice of Combined Regular Meeting and Executive Session of the Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District
Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Peach Springs Unified School District #8- Governing Board of Education
403 Diamond Creek Road (Elementary School)
Peach Springs, Arizona 86434
Pursuant to A.R.S. $ 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the Governing Board and the Public that the board will hold a meeting open to the public on Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 5:30 p.m., in the Governing Board meeting room, Peach Springs Unified School District No.8, 403 Diamond Creek Road (Peach Springs Elementary School), in Peach Springs, Arizona. Information regarding agenda items, with the exception of materials relating to Executive Sessions, may be reviewed in the District Administrative Offices located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, Arizona.
The Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District #8 may vote to meet in executive session intermittently throughout the meeting pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03, to review and discuss certain matters which are marked by an asterisk(*). Additionally, the Board may vote to go into Executive Session on any matter listed on the agenda, pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (3), for discussion or legal advice from the Board’s attorney, which may occur via person or telephone. Any Executive Session discussions will not be open to the public. However, all Board decisions will be made in the open public meeting.
If any disabled person needs any type of accommodation, please notify administration at (928) 769-9034 prior to the time scheduled for the meeting. All members of the public wishing to address the Board are required to sign the attendance sign-in sheet and complete a Public Comment form. Board members of the Peach Springs Unified School District may attend either in person or, when necessary, by telephone, video conferencing, or internet conferencing.
A G E N D A
I. CALL TO ORDER- Ms. Michelle Zephier, Acting Board President, Peach Springs Unified School District #8
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. STATEMENT OF WELCOME
IV. ROLL CALL
V. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
VI. Approval of Governing Board Meeting Minutes:
1. September 8, 2015
2. September 10, 2015
3. September 14, 2015
VII. OLD BUSINESS
1. Reminder: pre-board approved travel for Jaime Cole for Superintendent Meeting Sunday, October 25
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Superintendent’s Report (no Board action required)
1. October newsletters and calendar of events
2. Updated discipline graphs
3. Academic graph data trends and patterns
4. Survey feedback from students, staff, and parents
B. Training and Travel
1. Infinite visions virtual training $3,600 for Jeren Smallcanyon (pre-approved September 2015 for Jeren Smallcanyon) for 9 days training (on site)
2. Infinite visions virtual training $2,500 per person for Terri Lucas for 5 days onsite training (on site)
3. School District Financial Statement training for Jeren Smallcanyon on November 13, 2015 from 9am-3:30 pm in Mesa, Arizona ($120 per person)
3. FISEF Level I and II in Phoenix for training on October 19 and 20, 2015 for Jeren Smallcanyon in cooperation with ASIAA and ASBA offering two Impact Aid application workshops before FY17 application
4. Arizona Department of Education MEGA conference training $175 for Jeren Smallcanyon November 19, 2015
5. Maintenance and Operation October 9, 2015 training for Jeren Smallcanyon for $70 in Cave Creek, Arizona.
6. Chart of Accounts training for Jeren Smallcanyon on October 30 in Kingman, Arizona for $75
7. Team Recruitment effort for instructional staff (Mikhail Smallcanyon, location of candidates) and Jaime Cole (final interview) for October 6-9, 2015 in Flagstaff, Phoenix, & Tucson, Arizona as we have 11 vacant positions for Kindergarten, 2nd grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade teacher
8. On-site Kagan training for all instructional staff November 13 and 14 and coaching December 14 and 15, 2015 with stipend pay using ADE grant around $15,000
C. Emergency procurement expenditures for Health and Safety of students and staff members
First week of school repairs September 2015
1. Plumbing for upper grade classes (health) True Love Plumbing came on 9-22-15 they cleared the stoppage in both toilets. Cost was $447.92.
2. Air Quality was called again when air conditioning system stopped working in September for 4th grade class
3. Electrician for 5th grade classroom as no lights are working in the classroom (call for electrician during week of October 5th)
1. Discussion and possible action to Approve District Payroll and Expense Vouchers 4-8, 8016, 9,9016, 1016, 1534, 1600
2. Expenditure Budget Balance Reports from fiscal year 2014-2015 and 2015-2016
3. Annual Financial Reports ARS §15-904(A) requires the Governing Board to submit an AFR and Food Service AFR to the Superintendent of Public Instruction and to the County School Superintendent by October 15, 2015. Additionally, the AFRs must be published no later than November 15, 2015.
4. Recommendation: That the Governing Board approve the Annual Financial Report and the Food Services Annual Financial Report to be submitted to the Superintendent of Public Instruction and to the County School Superintendent by October 15, 2015 and further direct Administration to publish the Annual Financial Reports on the Arizona Department of Education’s website by November 15, 2015, as required by statute.
5. Update authorized signatures for ACH WellsFargo account and Chase bank account ending in #5950 to include Jeren Smallcanyon, current business manager and Jaime Cole, superintendent and remove all prior staff members from the account list.
E. Policy updates
1. Policy updates for J-6282
· Reporting Child Abuse/Child Protection (change CPS 10-1047A to CSO-1021A), K-1011 Public’s Right to Know/Freedom of Information
A. Discussion and Possible Action regarding administrative recommendation for the hire of the following new employees:
1. Mary Stuart, elementary substitute teacher (as her certification is expired but she is working on ADE paperwork)
2. Tina Conneally, 2nd grade substitute teacher (Arizona certification for substitute expires 7/1/2099)
3. Valerie Klaus, elementary substitute teacher (Arizona certification for substitute)
4. Ilona Anderson, part-time instructional coaching (Arizona certificated)
B. Discussion and Possible Action regarding board approved hearing officers approved by the TRUST website listing for student disciplinary hearings
C. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding Extra-duty stipend for the following employees [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion or consideration of employment and A.R.S. 38431.03 (A)(3) discussion or consultation with attorney]:
1. Team Recruitment effort for instructional staff, working with Universities and job recruitment locations (Mikhail Smallcanyon) and Jaime Cole (final interview) for October 6-9, 2015 in Flagstaff, Phoenix, & Tucson
2. Mikhail Smallcanyon (working during fall break October 1-9, 2015) stipend
3. Terri Lucas, office organization to prepare for audit (working during fall break and weekend October 1-9, 2015)
D. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding resignation of the following certified staff member [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion and consideration of employment]:
1. *Mark Wyble, 8th grade math teacher effective September 17, 2015
2. *Dan Peters, 6th grade science teacher effective September 11, 2015
3. *Bahgat Awad, math STEM educator effective September 10, 2015
4. *Randy Fuller, Title 1 teacher effective October 14, 2015
XI. CALL TO THE PUBLIC (This is the time that the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not on the agenda. Therefore, action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter of scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.)
A. ANNOUCEMENTS AND DATE OF NEXT BOARD MEETING
Upcoming Board Meeting to be held at the Governing Board Meeting Room (in the Peach Springs Elementary School) located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, AZ:
a. Regular Governing Board Meeting – Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 5:30 p.m.
Dated this 5 of _October_ 2015