Notice of Combined Regular Meeting and Executive Session of the Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District
Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 5:30 pm (rescheduled from October 6)
Peach Springs Unified School District #8- Governing Board of Education
403 Diamond Creek Road (Elementary School)
Peach Springs, Arizona 86434
Pursuant to A.R.S. $ 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the Governing Board and the Public that the board will hold a meeting open to the public on Tuesday, October 14, 2015 at 5:30 p.m., in the Governing Board meeting room, Peach Springs Unified School District No.8, 403 Diamond Creek Road (Peach Springs Elementary School), in Peach Springs, Arizona. Information regarding agenda items, with the exception of materials relating to Executive Sessions, may be reviewed in the District Administrative Offices located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, Arizona.
The Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District #8 may vote to meet in executive session intermittently throughout the meeting pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03, to review and discuss certain matters which are marked by an asterisk(*). Additionally, the Board may vote to go into Executive Session on any matter listed on the agenda, pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (3), for discussion or legal advice from the Board’s attorney, which may occur via person or telephone. Any Executive Session discussions will not be open to the public. However, all Board decisions will be made in the open public meeting.
If any disabled person needs any type of accommodation, please notify administration at (928) 769-9034 prior to the time scheduled for the meeting. All members of the public wishing to address the Board are required to sign the attendance sign-in sheet and complete a Public Comment form. Board members of the Peach Springs Unified School District may attend either in person or, when necessary, by telephone, video conferencing, or internet conferencing.
October 14, 2015 Meeting Minutes
I. CALL TO ORDER- Ms. Michelle Zephier, Board President, Peach Springs Unified School District #8
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. STATEMENT OF WELCOME
IV. ROLL CALL Emma Tapija-I (by phone), Michelle Zephier-I, Roger Mueller-I
V. APPROVAL OF AGENDA Vote: 3, 0, 0
VI. Approval of Governing Board Meeting Minutes:
1. September 8, 2015
2. September 10, 2015
3. September 14, 2015
Superintendent Jaime Cole reviewed meeting minutes and Roger Motioned to approve board meeting from September 8, 10, and 14. Emma Tapija second motion to approve governing board meeting minutes from September 8, 10, and 14
Vote: 3, 0, 0
VII. OLD BUSINESS
1. Reminder: pre-board approved travel for Jaime Cole for Superintendent Meeting Sunday, October 25
2. Recommendation of new board member Shawna Havatone
Superintendent reminded board of October 25th (1 day training) and reviewed board recommendation of Shawna Havatone as new board member. Michelle Zephier motioned to approve Ms. Shawna Havatone for board meeting and Roger Mueller second motion to accept Ms. Shawna Havatone as board member. Michelle –I, Roger-I, Emma-I Vote: 3, 0, 0
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Superintendent’s Report (no Board action required)
1. October newsletters and calendar of events
2. Updated discipline graphs
3. Academic graph data trends and patterns
4. Survey feedback from students, staff, and parents
5. ADE Site Visit and recommendation for next year (board action needed)
Superintendent shared reports 1-5 with no board action required and answered questions from board members. It was mentioned and accepted to add ADE Site visit recommendation on next board meeting in November 2015 for discussion and vote.
B. Training and Travel
1. Infinite visions virtual training $3,600 for Jeren Smallcanyon (pre-approved September 2015 for Jeren Smallcanyon) for 9 days training (on site)
2. Infinite visions virtual training $2,500 per person for Terri Lucas for 5 days onsite training (on site)
3. School District Financial Statement training for Jeren Smallcanyon on November 13, 2015 from 9am-3:30 pm in Mesa, Arizona ($120 per person)
4. FISEF Level I and II in Phoenix for training on October 19 and 20, 2015 for Jeren Smallcanyon in cooperation with ASIAA and ASBA offering two Impact Aid application workshops before FY17 application
5. Arizona Department of Education MEGA conference training $175 for Jeren Smallcanyon November 19, 2015
6. Maintenance and Operation October 9, 2015 training for Jeren Smallcanyon for $70 in Cave Creek, Arizona. (Retroactive)
7. Chart of Accounts training for Jeren Smallcanyon on October 30 in Kingman, Arizona for $75
8. Team Recruitment effort for instructional staff (Mikhail Smallcanyon, location of candidates) for October 6-9, 2015 in Flagstaff, Phoenix, Arizona as we have 11 vacant positions for Kindergarten, 2nd grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade teacher
9. On-site Kagan training for all instructional staff November 13 and 14 and coaching December 14 and 15, 2015 with stipend pay using ADE grant around $15,000
10. First Things First training on November 5, 2015 for the superintendent in Phoenix, Arizona (no cost to the district as all expenses covered by First Things First)
Superintendent summarized training and travel requests from 1-10 for the school board. Emma motioned to accept training and travel items 1-10 and Roger Mueller second motion to accept training and travel items 1-10.Emma –I, Roger-I, Michelle-I;
Vote: 3, 0, 0
C. Emergency procurement expenditures for Health and Safety of students and staff members
First week of school repairs September 2015
1. Plumbing for upper grade classes (health) True Love Plumbing came on 9-22-15 they cleared the stoppage in both toilets. Cost was $447.92.
2. Air Quality was called again when air conditioning system stopped working in September for 4th grade class
3. Electrician for 5th grade classroom as no lights are working in the classroom (call for electrician during week of October 9th)
Superintendent reviewed emergency procurement expenditures for Health and Safety of students and staff in September 2015 from plumbing, air quality, and electrical work needed at Peach Springs School and explained that we are working on obtaining a bid for this year’s experiences for on-going procurement needs in the area of air and heating units and on-going plumbing problems with the upper grade classrooms. Michelle Zephier motioned to approve emergency procurement expenditures for plumbing, air quality and electrical work needed in a classroom in September 2015 and Roger Mueller second motion. Michelle –I, Roger-I, Emma-I
Vote: 3, 0, 0
1. Discussion and possible action to Approve District Payroll and Expense Vouchers 4-8, 8016, 9,9016, 1016, 1534, 1600, 1607,1608, 1116
2. Expenditure Budget Balance Reports from fiscal year 2014-2015 and 2015-2016
3. Annual Financial Reports ARS §15-904(A) requires the Governing Board to submit an AFR and Food Service AFR to the Superintendent of Public Instruction and to the County School Superintendent by October 15, 2015. Additionally, the AFRs must be published no later than November 15, 2015.
4. Recommendation: That the Governing Board approve the Annual Financial Report and the Food Services Annual Financial Report to be submitted to the Superintendent of Public Instruction and to the County School Superintendent by October 15, 2015 and further direct Administration to publish the Annual Financial Reports on the Arizona Department of Education’s website by November 15, 2015, as required by statute.
5. Update authorized signatures for ACH Wells Fargo account and Chase bank account ending in #5950 to include Jeren Smallcanyon, current business manager and Jaime Cole, superintendent and remove all prior staff members from the account list.
Business manager, Jeren Smallcanyon reviewed Business items 1-5 and answered questions by the school board. Michelle Zephier motioned to approve items 1-5 and Roger Mueller second motion to approve district payroll, expense vouchers, Budget balance reports, Annual Financial Reports ARS $15-904 (A) AFR and Food Service AFR as report will be submitted November 15th, Update WellsFargo and Chase bank account to remove prior staff and update with current superintendent and business manager. Michelle-I, Roger-I, Emma-I
Vote : 3, 0, 0
E. Policy updates
1. Policy updates for J-6282
· Reporting Child Abuse/Child Protection (change CPS 10-1047A to CSO-1021A), K-1011 Public’s Right to Know/Freedom of Information
Superintendent summarized and reviewed policy update in packet for K-1011 Public’s Right to Know/Freedom of Information and Roger motion to accept changes to policy update. Emma second motion to the recommended revised that were recommended by ASBA. Roger-I, Emma-I, Michelle-I
Vote: 3, 0, 0
A. Discussion and Possible Action regarding administrative recommendation for the hire of the following new employees:
1. Mary Stuart, elementary substitute teacher (as her certification is expired but she is working on ADE paperwork)
2. Kristin Albrecht, elementary substitute teacher (pending substitute certification and fingerprint clearance)
3. Amber Simpson, substitute teacher beginning November 2, 2015 as she is currently applying for fingerprint clearance and going to school to be an elementary teacher in Kingman, Arizona. She has experience with early childhood and excellence background check in working with children.
4. Isaiah Thames, substitute teacher PE beginning November 2, 2015 as he currently has his fingerprint clearance, passed background check, and is obtaining substitute certification
5. Robert Hamann, substitute teacher beginning October 26, 2015 as he is currently applying for clearance
6. Rebecca Muniz, elementary substitute teacher beginning October 12, 2015
7. Paul Hilger, substitute teacher beginning October 19, 2015
Superintendent summarized personnel needs and reviewed candidates that applied listed from items 1-7 but was not sure about Mary Stuart as return calls were not provided by Ms. Stuart and beginning dates available where unclear with Robert Hamann and Paul Hilger. Roger Mueller motioned to approve personnel items 2-7 but offer only if Ms. Stuart was interested in position. If applicants were interested that completed paperwork, cleared background checks, and interviewed with ADE clearance; board would recommend. Michelle Zephier second motion to approve candidates that were qualified and interested in substitute positions at Peach Springs as we recruit for fully certified and highly qualified applicants for K-8 teaching positions. Roger –I, Emma-I, Michelle -1
Vote: 3, 0, 0
B. Discussion and review of Special education school testing coordinator using bids
· Kathy Scroggins fee $425 with all included costs per evaluation
· Gary Plank fee $515 plus mileage, plus hourly cost
Superintendent reviewed the two candidates that applied for the testing needs of students with special needs or candidates. From the two bid options that applied for the contracted work, Kathy Scroggins meets the needs of the school with the most cost effective option for Peach Springs and she was recommended by surrounding schools. Roger motioned to accept Kathy Scroggins as our testing provider for special education and Emma second motion.
Roger-I Emma-I, Michelle-I
Vote: 3, 0, 0
C. Discussion and Possible Action regarding board approved hearing officers approved by the TRUST website listing for student disciplinary hearings.
Superintendent reviewed need for hearing officer for discipline that exceeded short term suspensions and provided list of hearing officers that were approved by the TRUST. Roger Mueller motioned to approve TRUST listed hearing officers for Peach Springs based on the discipline concerns of the school and community and Michelle second motion.
Roger-I, Michelle-I, and Emma-I
Vote: 3, 0, 0
D. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding Extra-duty stipend for the following employees [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion or consideration of employment and A.R.S. 38431.03 (A)(3) discussion or consultation with attorney]:
1. Team Recruitment effort for instructional staff, working with Universities and job recruitment locations (Mikhail Smallcanyon) for October 6-9, 2015 in NAU- Flagstaff, ASU- Phoenix
2. Mikhail Smallcanyon (working during fall break October 1-9, 2015) stipend 89 hours at $25 an hour
3. Terri Lucas, office organization to prepare for audit (working during fall break and weekend October 1-9, 2015) for 40 hours at $15 hourly rate
Based on the need reviewed for extra duty stipends during the fall break to prepare for 2014 audit and recruitment needs at Peach Springs for teachers; Roger motioned to approve items 1-3 to work towards making recruitment efforts and organizing office to prepare for audit visit and Michelle second motion.
Roger-I, Michelle-I, Emma-I
Vote: 3, 0, 0
E. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding resignation of the following certified staff member [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion and consideration of employment]:
1. *Mark Wyble, 8th grade math teacher effective September 17, 2015
2. *Dan Peters, 6th grade science teacher effective September 11, 2015
3. *Bahgat Awad, math STEM educator effective September 10, 2015
4. *Randy Fuller, Title 1 teacher effective October 1, 2015 as she turned in her keys and removed her belongings October 1. She will get 9 days of paid leave for her balance at $30 per day.
Superintendent provided copies of the resignation letter requests from prior staff members listed 1-4 and requested board accept their resignation without negative consequences to their certification based on volunteer resignations for Mr. Wyble, Mr. Peters, Mr. Awad, and Ms. Fuller. Michelle Zephier motioned to approve volunteer resignations of Mr. Wyble, Mr. Peters, Mr. Awad, and Ms. Fuller and Roger Mueller second motion to accept volunteer resignations without negative consequence to their certifications with Arizona Department of Education.
Michelle-I, Roger-I, Emma-I
Vote: 3, 0, 0
XI. CALL TO THE PUBLIC (This is the time that the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not on the agenda. Therefore, action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter of scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.)
No one completed call to the public request
A. ANNOUCEMENTS AND DATE OF NEXT BOARD MEETING
Upcoming Board Meeting to be held at the Governing Board Meeting Room (in the Peach Springs Elementary School) located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, AZ:
a. Regular Governing Board Meeting – Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 5:30 p.m.
Emma made motion to adjourn from board meeting and Roger second motion on 10/14/2015