Notice of Combined Regular Meeting and Executive Session of the Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District(amended)
Monday, December 1, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Peach Springs Unified School District #8- Governing Board of Education
403 Diamond Creek Road (Elementary School)
Peach Springs, Arizona 86434
Pursuant to A.R.S. $ 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the Governing Board and the Public that the board will hold a meeting open to the public on Monday, December 1, 2015 at 6:00 p.m., in the Governing Board meeting room, Peach Springs Unified School District No.8, 403 Diamond Creek Road (Peach Springs Elementary School), in Peach Springs, Arizona. Information regarding agenda items, with the exception of materials relating to Executive Sessions, may be reviewed in the District Administrative Offices located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, Arizona.
The Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District #8 may vote to meet in executive session intermittently throughout the meeting pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03, to review and discuss certain matters which are marked by an asterisk(*). Additionally, the Board may vote to go into Executive Session on any matter listed on the agenda, pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (3), for discussion or legal advice from the Board’s attorney, which may occur via person or telephone. Any Executive Session discussions will not be open to the public. However, all Board decisions will be made in the open public meeting.
If any disabled person needs any type of accommodation, please notify administration at (928) 769-9034 prior to the time scheduled for the meeting. All members of the public wishing to address the Board are required to sign the attendance sign-in sheet and complete a Public Comment form. Board members of the Peach Springs Unified School District may attend either in person or, when necessary, by telephone, video conferencing, or internet conferencing.
I. CALL TO ORDER- Ms. Michelle Zephier, Board President, Peach Springs Unified School District #8 at 6:05 pm
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. STATEMENT OF WELCOME
IV. ROLL CALL Michelle Zephier-I, Roger Mueller-I, Shawna Havatone-I, Emma Tapija-I
V. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
VI. Approval of Governing Board Meeting Minutes:
1. November 2, 2015
2. November 12, 2015
Emma Tapija motioned to approve board minutes from November 2 and 12, 2015 and Roger Mueller second motion.
Vote: 4, 0, 0
VII. OLD BUSINESS - NA
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Superintendent’s Report (no Board action required for item1)
1. Academic graph data trends and patterns (Peach Springs State Report)
Jaime Cole reviewed report of the school and explained that individual grade level scores will be provided after Galileo, DIBELS, and Mind Play scores are graphed for January’s report.
B. Training and Travel
1. Instructional staff training with Kagan (Letter of Agreement) for December 15-16, 2015 and training/coaching sessions January –March 2016 as part of our grant to spend part of our Title 2 state grant funding.
Emma Tapija made motion to approve training for Kagan and Roger Mueller second motion for Kagan training.
Vote: 4, 0,0
2. Arizona School Board Association 58th Annual Conference Training December 10 and 11 for all board members and administration at rate of $350 per person in Phoenix, AZ.
After discussion where only a few board members would be able to attend due to their schedule, Emma Tapija made motion to wait for board training and travel for a different conference and wait to attend Arizona School Board Association during another year and Roger Mueller second motion.
Vote: 4, 0,0
3. First Things First supt. training December 7 and 8 (no cost to district)-
Jaime Cole requested to cancel training therefore no motion was made due to the number of reports due this month for ALEAT.
XI. Emergency procurement expenditures for Health and Safety of students and staff members
1. Plumbing for upper grade classes (health) True Love Plumbing came on November 18, 2015 they cleared the stoppage in toilets. Cost was $449.01.
2. True Love Plumbing was then called again as multiple toilets were not working week of November 23, 2015
3. Emergency procurement needed for bus transportation around $4000 (repairs needed for safe bus runs) week of November 11, 2015
Roger Mueller made motion to approve emergency procurement expenditures for students/staff health and safety for the items 1-3 True Love Plumbing November 18 and 23 along with bus repairs during week of November 11 and Emma Tapija second motion for items 1-3
Vote: 4, 0, 0
1. Discussion and possible action to Approve District Payroll and Expense Vouchers 1605, 1606, 1607, 1608, 1609, 1610, 1416, 1535
2. Discussion and possible action to Approve Budget revision for submission to ADE.
3. Discussion and possible action to ratify updated Indian Policies and Procedures for PSUSD#8.
From board discussion, it was recommended to post Indian Policies and Procedures in the paper. Michelle Zephier made motion to approve business items 1-3 of the payroll and vouchers, budget revisions, and to ratify the updated Indian Policies and Procedures for the district and Emma Tapija second motion for items 1-3.
Vote: 4, 0, 0
A. Discussion and Possible Action regarding administrative recommendation for the hire and/or stipend of the following new/current employees:
1. Valerie Smith, 1st grade substitute teacher beginning 11/30/2015 12/7/2015 at substitute daily rate
2. Eduardo Cruz, accounts payable/payroll assistant at $12 an hour rate
3. Valerie Kruz Klaus, 1st grade substitute teacher beginning 11/23/2015 at substitute daily rate
4. Discussion and Possible Action regarding extra stipend for serving as Co-Dean of Students for Mikhail Smallcanyon as a $6,000 stipend while training staff to enter AZ SAFE reports (required by ADE).
Emma Tapija approved personnel items from #1-4 to hire Valerie Smith as substitute, Eduardo Cruz as accounts payable/payroll assistant at $12 an hour, Valerie Klaus at 1st grade substitute, and provide additional stipend for Mikhail Smallcanyon for also serving a Co-Dean of Students while Roger Mueller second motion. From board discussion, Valerie Smith began 12/7/2015 at substitute teacher with her ADE substitute certification, Eduardo Cruz was approved at $12 an hour rate.
Vote: 4, 0,0
B. *Discussion and Possible Action regarding resignation of the following certified staff member [A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (1) discussion and consideration of employment]:
1. *Kathy Nagelkerk, 1st grade teacher effective 11/19/2015
2. * Kim Canto, special education teacher effective 12/17/2015
Emma Tapija made motion to approve resignations for both Kathy Nagelkerk and Kim Canto training and Roger Mueller second motion. Both would be accountable for the $1,000 fee for early resignation as stated in policy. Kim Canto made verbal request to have additional two weeks paid but board made decision to keep to board agenda written request of resignation of 12/17/2015.
Vote: 4, 0, 0
XIV. CALL TO THE PUBLIC (This is the time that the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not on the agenda. Therefore, action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter of scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.)
A. ANNOUCEMENTS AND DATE OF NEXT BOARD MEETING
Upcoming Board Meeting to be held at the Governing Board Meeting Room (in the Peach Springs Elementary School) located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, AZ:
a. Regular Governing Board Meeting – Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 6:00 p.m.
Dated this 24 of _November_ 2015 11/30/15 (revised)