Notice of Special Board Meeting of the Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District
Monday, December 14, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Peach Springs Unified School District #8- Governing Board of Education
403 Diamond Creek Road (Elementary School)
Peach Springs, Arizona 86434
Pursuant to A.R.S. $ 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the Governing Board and the Public that the board will hold a meeting open to the public on Monday, December 14, 2015 at 6:00 p.m., in the Governing Board meeting room, Peach Springs Unified School District No.8, 403 Diamond Creek Road (Peach Springs Elementary School), in Peach Springs, Arizona. Information regarding agenda items, with the exception of materials relating to Executive Sessions, may be reviewed in the District Administrative Offices located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, Arizona.
The Governing Board of the Peach Springs Unified School District #8 may vote to meet in executive session intermittently throughout the meeting pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03, to review and discuss certain matters which are marked by an asterisk(*). Additionally, the Board may vote to go into Executive Session on any matter listed on the agenda, pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03 (A) (3), for discussion or legal advice from the Board’s attorney, which may occur via person or telephone. Any Executive Session discussions will not be open to the public. However, all Board decisions will be made in the open public meeting.
If any disabled person needs any type of accommodation, please notify administration at (928) 769-9034 prior to the time scheduled for the meeting. All members of the public wishing to address the Board are required to sign the attendance sign-in sheet and complete a Public Comment form. Board members of the Peach Springs Unified School District may attend either in person or, when necessary, by telephone, video conferencing, or internet conferencing.
I. CALL TO ORDER- Ms. Michelle Zephier, Board President, Peach Springs Unified School District #8 at 5:20 pm
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. STATEMENT OF WELCOME
IV. ROLL CALL Michelle Zephier-I, Roger Mueller-I, Shawna Havatone-I, Emma Tapija-Absent
V. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Roger Mueller motioned to approve agenda and Shawna Havatone second motion.
Vote: 3, 0, 0
VI. OLD BUSINESS- NA
VII. NEW BUSINESS
A. Training and Travel
1. Discussion and Possible Action to approve 1 day travel to ADE for Jaime Cole, superintendent and administrative team on Thursday, 12/17/2015 to attend support meeting for PSUSD at the AZ Department of Education
Michelle Zephier motioned to approve the travel for both Jaime Cole and Jeren Smallcanyon for the Peach Springs Integrative Support Meeting with ADE representatives in Phoenix on 12/17/2015 and Roger Mueller second motion.
Vote: 3, 0, 0
A. Discussion and Possible Action regarding administrative recommendation for the hire and/or stipend of the following new/current employees:
1. Lea Shepherd, K-8 art teacher with AZ PreK-12 Standard Art Certification at teacher pay rate to begin January 4, 2016 to May 25, 2016 BA+6 $38,475 (prorated)
2. Cameron Shepherd, middle school teacher with AZ middle school certification 6-12 to begin January 4, 2016 to May 25, 2016 BA+30 $40,535 (prorated)
3. Jennifer Wisely, substitute teacher (pending updated AZ state fingerprint clearance and certification) for January 4, 2016 at $125 daily for the first continual 14 days, then $150 daily as long term substitute.
4. Vilma Cruz, recommend to transfer from substitute to special education assistant retroactive 12/9/2015 as a classified position for $12
Michelle Zephier made motioned to approve personnel items 1-4 and Roger Mueller second motion to approve contract for Lea Shepherd for art teacher, Cameron Shepherd for middle school teacher, Jennifer Wisely as substitute and Vilma Cruz transfer from substitute to assistant retroactive 12/9/2015 at $12 an hour.
Vote: 3, 0, 0
5. Discussion and Possible Action regarding modifying contract for business manager to include extra increase for transportation and housing oversight responsibilities at a rate of $10,000 for SY 2015-2016
Michelle Zephier made motion to modify Jeren Smallcanyon’s contract to increase $10,000 due to additional responsibilities of transportation and housing oversight responsibilities for SY 2015-2016 and Roger Mueller second motion
Vote: 3, 0, 0.
6. Larry Wallen, hearing officer agreed with board’s decision for termination of Joan Dalcerro based on hearing findings on December 4, 2015 (information only)- No action needed
A. ANNOUCEMENTS AND DATE OF NEXT BOARD MEETING
Upcoming Board Meeting to be held at the Governing Board Meeting Room (in the Peach Springs Elementary School) located at 403 Diamond Creek Road, Peach Springs, AZ:
a. Regular Governing Board Meeting – Tuesday, January 5, 2016
IX. ADJOURNMENT at 6:00 pm
Roger Mueller made motioned to adjourn board meeting and Michelle Zephier second motion.
Vote: 3, 0, 0
Dated this 11 of December_ 2015